Matúš Mišík, PhD.
Matúš Mišík, PhD is Associate Professor at the Department of Political Science at Comenius University in Bratislava. His main research interests include energy security in the EU and the role of perception within EU decision-making mechanisms. He is the author of External Energy Security in the European Union (Routledge, 2019) and co-editor of From Economic to Energy Transition. Three Decades of Transitions in Central and Eastern Europe (Palgrave, 2021) and Energy Humanities. Current State and Future Directions (Springer, 2021). He has published articles in energy policy journals including Nature Energy, Energy, Energy Policy, Geopolitics, Czechoslovak Psychology, Journal of Popular Culture, Comparative European Politics, Asia Europe Journal and Slovak Sociological Review.
POSITIONS AND EDUCATION
- June 2021 – present; Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, Comenius University Bratislava, Slovakia
- October 2013 – May 2021; Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Comenius University Bratislava, Slovakia
- September 2018- December 2018; Visiting Professor, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
- July 2015 – June 2016; Postdoctoral Fellow, European Union Centre of Excellence, University of Alberta, Canada
- July 2011 – May 2014; Research Fellow, Department of Political Science, Comenius University Bratislava
- September 2012 – January 2013; Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Political Science, University of Vienna, Austria
- October – December 2011; Academic Visitor, Aston Centre for Europe, Aston University Birmingham, Great Britain
- October 2007- September 2011; PhD programme, Department of Political Science, Comenius University Bratislava
- August – December 2006; Visiting Student, University in Agder
- September 2002 – May 2007; MA programme, Constantine the Philosopher University in Nitra, Slovakia
- Maltby, T. and Mišík, M. (signed contract) The Political Economy of Climate and Energy Policy in Central and Eastern Europe. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- Mišík, M. and Oravcová, V. (2021) (Eds.) From Economic to Energy Transition. Three Decades of Transitions in Central and Eastern Europe. Palgrave: London.
- Mišík, M. and Kujundžić, N. (2021) (Eds.) Energy Humanities and Energy Transition. Current State and Future Directions. Springer: Cham.
- Mišík, M. (2019) External Energy Security in the European Union. Small Member States’ Perspective. Routledge: London.
- Mišík, M. (2017) An Introduction to European Integration. Comenius University Press: Bratislava. In Slovak.
- Mišík, M. (2016) Decision-making Mechanism of the European Union after the Easter Enlargement. Comenius University Press: Bratislava. In Slovak.
- Mišík, M. (2013) Energy policy in the enlarged EU. Institute of International Relations: Prague. In Slovak.
- Mišík, M. and Oravcová, V. (in press) The myth of homogeneity: Visegrad Group’s energy transition. In: Geoffrey Wood and Vincent Onyango (eds.) The Palgrave Handbook of Zero Carbon Energy Systems and Energy Transitions. Palgrave, London
- Mišík, M., Oravcová, V. and Plenta, P. (in press) The European Union’s energy policy: From market liberalisation to convergence with climate policy. In: Thomas Hoerber, Gabriel Weber and Ignazio Cabras (eds.) Routledge Handbook of European Integration. Routledge, London.
- Mišík, M. and Oravcová, V. (2021) Energy Diversification in Central and Eastern Europe: The Case of Slovakia. In: Scott N. Romaniuk, Manish Thapa, Péter Marton (eds.) The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Global Security Studies. Palgrave, London.
- Mišík M. and Kujundžić, N. (2021) The Future Is Nuclear: Energy Weapon in Isaac Asimov’s Foundation. In: Mišík, M. and Kujundžić, N. (Eds.) Energy Humanities. Current State and Future Directions. Springer: Cham, pp. 149-167.
- Mišík, M. and Prachárová, V. (2021) Perfect Compliance? Nuclear Power in Central and Eastern Europe and the EU Membership. In: Mišík, M. and Oravcová, V. (Eds.) From Economic to Energy Transition. Three Decades of Transitions in Central and Eastern Europe. Palgrave: London, pp. 249-256.
- Mišík, M. and Oravcová, V. (2020) Energy Governance in Slovakia. In: Knodt M. and Kemmerzell J. (Eds.) Handbook of Energy Governance in Europe. Springer: Cham, pp. 1-25.
- Nosko, A. and Mišík, M. (2020) Pricing Security or Pricing Perceptions: Differences in Energy Security Perspectives of Oil and Gas. In: Belyi, A. (Ed.) Beyond Market Assumptions: A Global Institution of the Oil Price. Springer: London, pp. 125-142.
- Mišík, M. (2019) EU’s Democratization: Normative Power Europe meets external EU perception literature. In: Neuman, M. (ed.) Normative Power Europe Meets Democracy Promotion: The European Union in (South-)Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Springer: New York, pp. 37-51.
- Nosko, A. and Mišík, M. (2017) No united front: The political economy of energy in Central and Eastern Europe. In: Sitter, N., Goldthau, A. and Andersen, S.S. (Eds.) Energy Union: Europe's New Liberal Mercantilism? Palgrave: London.
- Mišík, M. (2010) Security First: Energy policy in the new member states of the European Union. In. Malová et.al.: New Member States in the EU: From Listening to Action. Bratislava: Devín press, pp. 101-128.
- Mišík, M. (2022) The EU needs to improve its external energy security. Energy Policy 165, 112930
- Krupnik, S., Wagner, A., Koretskaya, O., Rudek, T.J., Wade, R., Mišík, M. et al. (2022) Beyond technology: A research agenda for social sciences and humanities research on renewable energy in Europe. Energy Research and Social Science 89, 102536
- Mišík, M. (2021) When the accession legacy fades away: Renewables goals of Central and Eastern European countries. The International Spectator 56(3), 56-70.
- Yakovenko, K. and Mišík, M. (2020) Cooperation and Security: Examining the Political Discourse on Natural Gas Transit in Ukraine and Slovakia. Energies 22(13), 5969.
- Kratochvíl, P. and Mišík, M. (2020) Bad external actors and good nuclear energy: Media discourse on energy supplies in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Energy Policy 136, 111058.
- Struháriková, R., Mišík, M. and Spáč, S. (2020) Perception of EU Member States by Slovak Decision Makers. Slovak Sociological Review 52(5), 475-498. In Slovak
- Mišík, M. and Oravcová, V. (2019) Decarbonisation in the V4 countries: Renewables goals in National Climate and Energy Plan drafts. International Issues & Slovak Foreign Policy Affairs, Vol. 28, No. 3-4, pp. 10-25.
- Kujundžić, N. and Mišík, M. (2018) Powering up the Technodrome: Energy sustainability in the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Journal of Popular Culture 51(3), 575-594.
- Mišík, M. and Szulecki, K. (2018) On the complexity of energy policy inquiry. Response to Krzykowski and Krzykowska. Energy Policy 118, 106-108.
- Oravcová, V. and Mišík, M. (2018) EU funds and limited cooperation: energy infrastructure development in the Visegrad Group. International Issues & Slovak Foreign Policy Affairs, Vol. 27, No. 3-4, pp. 11-26.
- Mišík, M. and Nosko, A. (2017) Eastring gas pipeline in the context of Central and Eastern European gas supply challenge. Nature Energy 2(11), 844-848.
- Mišík, M. (2017) Comments on "The Energy Union and security-of-gas supply" by Ole Gunnar Austvik. Energy Policy 102, 27-29.
- Mišík, M. (2016) On the way towards the Energy Union: Position of Austria, the Czech Republic and Slovakia towards External Energy Security Integration. Energy 111, 68-81.
- Mišík, M. and Prachárová, V. (2016) Before ‘Independence’ Arrived: Interdependence in Energy Relations between Lithuania and Russia. Geopolitics 21(3), 579-604.
- Lášticová, B. and Mišík, M. (2016) Image theory in the contemporary political psychology. Czechoslovak Psychology 60(2), 211-224. In Slovak
- Mišík, M. (2015) The Influence of Perception on the Preferences of the New Member States of the European Union: The Case of Energy Policy. Comparative European Politics 13(2), 198-221.
- Mišík, M. (2015) National interest in the first place: perception of the new member states of the EU. Slovak Sociological Review 47(1), 66-88. In Slovak.
- Kratochvíl, P. and Mišík, M. (2015) Newcomer, Normal Player or Regional Leader? Perceptions of Poland in the EU. Politics in Central Europe, Vol. 11, No. 1.
- Mišík, M. (2014) Good partners make good relationships: Perception of the new member states of the EU. Mezinárodní vztahy 21(4), 28-42. In Slovak
- Mišík, M. (2014) Our New Allies? Perception of the New Member States of the EU by the Old Members. Czech Journal of Political Science, Vol. 21, No. 3
- Mišík, M. (2013) How can Perception Help us to Understand the Dynamic between EU Member States? The State of the Art. Asia Europe Journal 11(4), 445-463.
- Mišík, M. (2012) Eastern Enlargement and the EU Policy on Energy: towards Common European Energy Policy? Central European Political Studies Review, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 573-602. In Slovak.
- Mišík, M. (2012) Crisis as a Remedy? The 2009 Gas Crisis and its Influence on Increase of Energy Security of Visegrad Group Countries. International Issues and Slovak Foreign Policy Affairs, Vol. 21, No. 1-2, pp. 56-72.
- Mišík, M. (2008) Fish vs. national identity: Iceland and the EU from constructivist point of view. Slovak Sociological Review 40(4), 299-325. In Slovak.
- UACES Annual Conference 2021, online, 6-8 September 2021
- 15th Congress of the International Society for Ethnology and Folklore, online, 19-24 June 2021
- Small states in EU policy-making: Strategies, Challenges, Opportunities“ workshop, online, 17-18 June 2021
- 2021 Conference of the ECPR Standing Group on the European Union, online, 10-12 June 2021
- European Union in International Affairs’ Conference in Brussels, online, 26-28 May 2021
- ECPR Joint Session of Workshops, online workshop, 14-17 April 2020.
- Energy Connectivity in Central Europe: issues, challenges, opportunities workshop, 25 November 2019, Paris, France.
- The Routledge Handbook of European Integrations workshop, 25-27 November 2019, Lyon, France.
- Central European Energy Conference 2019, 18-19 November 2019, Bratislava, Slovakia.
- Political Ecologies of the far right, 15-17 November 2019, Lund University, Sweden.
- Winter Training School – Images of Europe at Times of Global Challenges: Perceptions of EU (foreign) policy making inside and outside Europe – Theoretical, Methodological and Empirical Reflections”, 11-14 November 2019, Aarhus, Denmark.
- 4th Energy Panel, Eastern Partnership conference, 17-18 October 2019, Vilnius, Lithuania
- Workshop Energy and environmental policies – their interdependence in European integration and in creating sustainability, Roskilde, Denmark, 3-4 October 2019
- Ukrainian-Slovak bilateral forum, Kyiv, 21 September 2019
- UACES Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, 31 August- 4 September 2019
- Challenges of the Energy Law and Policy Framework in the Baltic Sea Region, University of Greifswald, 4-5 July 2019
- 8th Workshop of Eastern Partnership Energy Regulatory Bodies, Minsk, 21-22 May 2019
- Facilitator, NATO Table-Top Exercise CORE2019, NATO Centre of Excellence for Energy Security, Vilnius, 14-16 May 2019
- Energy Sector in Transition, Energy Research Institute, Vilnius, 25 April 2019
- Workshop on EU’s Climate and Energy Policy, Technische Universität Darmstadt, 10-13 March 2019
- 3rd Central European Conference, London, London School of Economic and Political Science, 3 March 2019
- 1st workshop of the regional sub-sectoral networking group on LNG Markets, Warsaw, 20 February 2019
- V4 Energy Think Tank Warsaw Workshop, Warsaw, 24 January 2019
- Small States in Europe. Towards a Cross-Disciplinary Approach, Malta, 28 September 2018
- Small States and the Political Upheavals Related to Immigration, Malta, 27 September 2018
- UACES Conference, Bath, 2-5 September 2018
- ECPR General Conference. Hamburg 22-25 August 2018
- Small States and the New Security Environment. Reykjavík, Iceland, 26 June 2018
- V4 energy security workshop, Baku, Azerbaijan, 3 May 2018.
- 25th International Conference of Europeanists, Chicago, USA, 28-30 March 2018.
- EUviews on Brexit: The Visegrád 4, Aston Centre for Europe and Policy Network, House of Lords, 24 January, 2018.
- Transitions in Energy History: State of the Art and New Perspectives. Università “La Sapienza”. Milan, 29 November – 1 December 2017.
- 2nd Russian-Slovak Discussion forum, Moscow, The Gorchakov Fund, 26 September 2017
- 11th ECPR General Conference, University of Oslo, 6-9 September 2017
- Energy cooperation as main pillar of Three Seas Initiative, Jagiellonian Club, Warsaw, 25 July 2017
- The Global Petroleumscape, 17-19 May 2017, TU Delft, the Netherland
- Focus on Visegrad group: nowadays and perspectives, 9 – 10 May 2017, Kaunas/Vilnius, Lithuania
- The V4 toward the EU gas market integration, 13 March 2017, Budapest
- Energy Transformations. Perspectives from the Humanities Symposium, January 17-18, 2017, Berlin
- Invited presentation, Seminar on EU-Russia relations for representatives of the Russian media, 14-17 December 2016, Bratislava, Slovakia
- Invited presentation, Relations of the Visegrad countries and the European Union with Russia, Organized by the Slovak Embassy in Moscow and Russian Academy of Science, Institute of Europe, Moscow, December 1-2, 2016
- Messengers from the Stars: On Science Fiction and Fantasy. University of Lisbon, 16-18 November 2016
- Invited lecture for Globsec Labs, Energy Security in Green. Renewables as an essential part of balanced energy mix. Matej Bell University, 10 November 2016, Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
- Invited lecture, Slovak PhD Forum, 13-14 October 2016, Nitra, Slovakia
- 10th General Conference, European Consortium for Political Research, 7-10 September 2016, Prague, the Czech Republic
- Mentor and Speaker, Energy Community Summer School, 3-10 September 2016, Tirana, Albania
- 24th World Congress, International Political Science Association, Poznań, Poland, 23-28 July 2016
- Keynote Speaker, Graduate Student Conference, “State of the EU in Canada and the Pacific Asia”, University of Victoria, Canada, May 25-27, 2016.
- Conference “Towards a common European energy policy? Perceptions of energy security”, Poznań, Poland, 18-20 May 2016
- Symposium “The Crisis of Democracy Promotion”, University of Groningen, Groningen, the Netherlands, 10-11 March 2016
- International conference "Energy Security in Central and Eastern Europe and the Operations of Russian State-Owned Energy Enterprises", Prague, the Czech Republic, 22 June 2015
- 19th Conference of Central European Political Science Association, Prague, the Czech Republic, 25 – 26 October 2014
- 8th General ECPR Conference, Glasgow, Great Britain, 4-6 September 2014
- 18th Conference of Central European Political Science Association, Plzen, the Czech Republic, 24 – 26 October 2013
- Danube Bridges. Energy Security Pillar Conference. Bratislava, Slovakia, 27 – 28 September 2013
- ENKO 2013. Energy conference. Slovakia, Bratislava 23 - 24 April 2013
- Multidisciplinary perspectives on transformation processes in Eastern Europe, International workshop at the University of Vienna, Austria, Vienna, 23 November 2012
- Visegrad Group and Germany – prospects of cooperation, Policy Makers Seminar, the Czech Republic, Aspen Institute Prague, 13-14 November 2012
- IV. Slovak Strategic Forum, Slovakia, Piešťany, 8 - 9 November 2012
- XV. International Conference of Young Scholars, Czech republic, Prague, 19- 20 May 2011
- IV. Security forum, Slovakia, Banská Bystrica, 10 February 2011
- MyPhD Conference (organized by Friedrich Ebert Stiftung), Slovakia, Bratislava, 1- 2 October 2010
- 3rd ECPR Graduate Conference, Ireland, Dublin, 30 August - 1 September 2010
- 2nd Slovak Political Science Congress, Slovakia, Bratislava, 15 October 2010
- First Central European Conference of Doctoral Students of Politics, European Studies and International Relations, Czech republic, Olomouc, 28- 29 April 2009
- 1st Slovak Political Science Congress, Slovakia, Trnava, 6 November 2008
- 2nd ECPR Graduate Conference, Spain, Barcelona, 25- 27 August 2008
- Lecturer at “EU Energy Security. Implications for CSDP”, 29 June-1 July 2021 organized by the French Institute for Higher National Defence Studies
- Member of Energy Community Summer School Executive Board, lecturer and mentor at the summer school, 2016-2021
- Lecturer, summer school: Small States in Europe: Towards a Cross-Disciplinary Approach, Reykjavík, 2017 and 2018
- Lecturer, the Antall József Summer School, Budapest, Hungary, 2018
- Reviewer for Journal of Common Market Studies, Energy policy, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Geopolitics, Social Science Journal, Problems of Post-Communism, Journal of European Integration, Czech Journal of Political Science, Politics and Governance, Energy Strategy Review, Sustainability, East European Politics and Societies
- Reviewer for Slovak grant agencies (The Slovak Research and Development Agency and VEGA)
- Reviewer for UACES Best Book Prize
- Comments on EU and energy policy related issues for Slovak and Czech media, regularly writes commentaries for Slovak newspapers (SME, DenníkN)
SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS, AWARDS
- EU Green Recovery in the post-Covid-19 (GreenRec), funded by Slovak Research and Development Agency (3-year project, 7/2021-6/2024), total budget 220 thousand €
- Priorities of the Central and Eastern European Countries in the context of Energy Union (ENERGIES), funded by Slovak Research and Development Agency (4-year project, 7/2017-9/2021), total budget 200 thousand €
- Project “One Union, Two Perspectives: Divergence in Perception of Political Phenomena among EU Member States”, funded by Scientific Grant Agency of the Ministry of Education, science, research and sport of the Slovak Republic and the Slovak Academy of Sciences (3-year project, 2016-2018), total budget 9 thousand €
- Grant for Young Researchers, Slovak Research and Development Agency, 5 thousand €, 2019
- The Postdoctoral Fellows Association (University of Alberta) Travel Award (2016)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship – European Union Centre of Excellence, University of Alberta (2015)
- “Aktion Österreich-Slowakei” post-doc research scholarship from the Austrian government (2012)
- Mobility grant (Comenius University in Bratislava) (2011)
- Tatra Banka – Students to the World Award (2011)
- Finnish Governmental Scholarship (2009)
- Norwegian Governmental scholarship (2006)