Temporal Residence Stay Permit in Slovakia
Students who are nationals of countries which are not member states of the European Union will have to apply for the temporal residence stay permit in Slovakia for the purpose of studies.
Based on the Schengen zone agreement foreign nationals outside EU may come to Schengen zone – with or without VISA (based on the agreement of your home country with the EU) register and stay in it no longer than 90 days in 180 days. Since you plan to stay in Schengen longer, after your arrival to Slovakia you need to:
- Announce to the foreign police office by letter that you arrived to Slovakia no later 10 days after entering Schengen zone (day you land with your plane and get a stamp into your passport). The document may be found on the web page of the Foreign Police Office in Bratislava.
- Apply for the temporal residence stay permit in Slovakia - as soon as possible since your stay need to be approved no later than the last day of your VISA validation or before 90 days of your legal stay; the procedure of the confirmation of your stay may last between 60-70 days. Therefore you have usually only approximately two weeks to apply to catch the deadlines without any major complications.
Note: You may apply for the temporal residence stay permit also at the Embassy of Slovak republic at your home country. It is not possible to collect all documents you need for the application while you are at home but it does not matter. You may apply and then when you come to Slovakia, all documents will be prepared for you to the foreign police office and you will not have to visit the office.
You need several documents for the application, some of them you need to bring to Slovakia from your home country. These documents are:
1. confirmation of studies - you will receive this document after you are enrol for studies at the university. If you plan to apply for the residence permit earlier at the Embassy of Slovak republic at your home country and you need this document earlier, please contact the coordinator of the study program.
2. confirmation of accommodation - you will receive this documents from your accommodation provider.
3. confirmation of financial recourses - confirmation about granting a scholarship or an original statement of balance of your bank account from the bank in your home country where the balance has to be minimum 198.09€ per every month you are staying in Slovakia
4. record from the Crime Register from your home country translated into Slovak (do not forget about apostille or super- legalization) and also record from the Crime Register from any country you stayed in more than 90 days last 3 years (again translated into Slovak and apostilled/super-lagalized).
The whole process of the application is described in the document.
The application for the temporal residence stay permit needs to be submitted personally, directly at the Embassy of Slovakia or in the Foreign Police Office in Bratislava. The address of the Foreign Police Office in Bratislava:
Foreign Police Office - Bratislava
831 07 Bratislava