Study form: full-time
Standard study duration: 2 years
Academic degree: master (Mgr.)
The graduate of the master's program in psychology will be capable of effective engagement in humanization, axiologization and increasing the creativity of education. Moreover, strengthening the social-psychological skills of adult workers in variety of institutions fits the graduate's line of work. He can cooperate in innovations of educational programs in personal management, therefore everywhere, where the efficiency and human factor are critical. The psychological and methodological knowledge of the graduate can be used in optimization of social and personal life, even in improvement of lifestyle and life quality. One of his key points is prevention; therefore, he is often an important part of socially pathological prevention systems in fields such as drug abuse, addiction, delinquency, criminality etc. The above mentioned examples form the basis of graduate's skills portfolio (not excluding political psychology, which is not widespread in Slovakia).
The study of psychology on master's program is a preparation for the profession of a psychologist. The main emphasis of the study comes from the understanding of psychology as a human helping profession. Students acquire variety of skills and abilities, which are useful later on in their psychological practice in different fields of psychology. The core of the master's program consists of mainly application courses such as clinical, school, counseling and work psychology, psychotherapy and psychological diagnostics. These are complemented by optional courses from application field.
The graduate is capable of using social, psychological and methodological skills in a line of work that includes human contact. He is able to use educational intervention in school and non-school conditions. Actions such as solving conflicts, individual needs, educational problems and work with other related professions are all covered in the study program.
Master psychologist acquires the following, after completion of master's program:
- knowledge and profession skills, that allows him to create and validate new psychological methods (diagnostic, therapeutic, etc.)
- he is capable of using complex methodological and statistical needs of psychological research, planning and realization of basic and applied psychological research
- critical thinking, ability to confront own results, academic presentation
- ability to conduct individual diagnostics and psychotherapy
- obtains complex knowledge and professional skills in these fields: clinical psychologist, counseling psychologist, school psychologist, work psychologist
The emphasis of the study program is also aimed on independent research, that culminates in diploma thesis. Laboratory projects ensure that the graduates are experts in the fields covered in the program. Additional field of use are personal psychology, healthcare, economic fields, social psychology. The wide spectrum of knowledge base is can be implemented both in practice and academic science.
- Acquiring the basis of theoretical and methodological ways in psychological sciences
- Acquiring the basic knowledge of application courses such as educational psychology, school psychology, social psychology, organizational and work psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology
Practical skills and abilities
During the bachelors study program, the graduate acquires the ability to properly use the basic psychological methods in all fields of psychology.