Summer school SAS
The 52nd summer school of Slovak language and culture Studia Academica Slovaca will take place on 31st July - 20th August, 2016 in Bratislava. Summer school of Slovak language and culture SAS is aimed at Slovakists and Slavists abroad, cultural workers, managers, language teachers, translators and all those interested in studying Slovak language and culture. The aim of the course is to enable students to acquire and improve their Slovak language competence on various levels, as well as extend their knowledge in Slovak linguistics, literature, history and culture.
Summer School SAS is the oldest summer university in Slovakia, established in 1965; under the name Studia Academica Slovaca since 1966. Since its establishment, SAS has continually maintained its profile of Slovakist academic studies. The Summer School SAS is usually attended by approximately 160 participants from more than 30 countries all over the world. Those creating and leading the seminars are university teachers and lecturers, experts in teaching Slovak as a foreign language, often experienced in teaching at universities abroad.
A. Basic Programme:
- Language courses for beginners and pre-intermediate students (levels A1, A2)
- Language courses for intermediate and upper-intermediate students (levels B1, B2)
- Language courses and specialized seminars for advanced students aimed at: linguistic interpretation; literary interpretation; translatological interpretation; scientific and methodological training for teachers
- Lectures on language, literature, ethnology, politology, history and other mainly homeland study disciplines for intermediate and upper-intermediate students (lectures are published in Studia Academica Slovaca proceedings from the corresponding year, which are at disposal already through the Summer School)
- Lectures in foreign languages on Slovak language, culture and realia (especially for participants with lower level of language competence)
B. Optional Programme
- Workshops - mastering Slovak culture by means of interactive seminars (singing, dancing, creative writing, theatre, photography, fine arts, film)
- Presentation of Slovak art - films, art ensembles, exhibitions, conterts etc.
- Meetings with Slovak writers, artists and other representatives of Slovak science and culture
- Cultural field trip in selected regions of Slovakia - cultural and historical sights, towns, castles, ethnographic museums, caves and other attractions
- multicultural event "For Ourselves", where the works created in workshops are presented
Participants are devided into individual study groups according to their results reached in the entrance test in Slovak language with regard to their study major. The Summer School participants are awarded a Certificate of Completion with detailed list of all completed (compulsory and optional) courses and activities. To qualify for this Certificate, students are required to regularly attend and actively participate in the seminars and lectures, they are evaluated continuously throughout the seminars, and need to submit required written work (final test, essay). After attending the programme, participants are offered the oportunity to take a final exam and obtain evaluation and ECTS credits.
Summer school SAS 2015 will take place in Bratislava - classes will be held at Faculty of Philosophy, Comenius University (Gondova 2, city center), accomodation will be provided in a selected institution (for scholarship holders in double and triple rooms and for self-paying participants in single and double rooms).
All participants with a scholarship from Slovak institutions (The Ministry of Educarion, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic, SAIA, Comenius University) are paid for the tuition fees, accomodation, full board and other activities.
A. Scholarship holders - Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of Slovak Republic
These scholarships are awarded on the basis of international bilateral agreements between countries (list of countries that have signed bilateral agreements can be found here.)
To apply for the admission to the summer school, contact Slovak foreign diplomatic missions (embassies) and the corresponding lectorates of Slovak language and culture. If you study Slovak studies abroad, contact your lectorate. Otherwise, contact the Slovak embassy in your country where you can get the scholarship application form and more details on the procedure.
The selection procedure is organized by embassies or lecturates abroad.
List of Slovak embassies abroad can be found here.
B. Scholarship holders - Slovak Academic Information Agency (SAIA)
These scholarships are for applicants from Austria. You can apply directly through SAIA. More information can be found here.
C. Scholarship holders - Comenius University in Bratislava
These scholarships are awarded by the Rectorate of Comenius University on the basis of inter-university agreements. They are intended for students and doctoral candidates. Check please whether your university has signed an agreement with the Comenius University.
D. Candidates without scholarship
Anyone interested in Slovak language and culture may participate in the summer school. The condition is, however, a minimum age of 18 years.
Application forms you can find here.