The Department of Slovak Language offers following study programmes:
- Slovak Language and Literature (single degree study, 3 years)
- Slovak Language and Culture (combined with other languages, translation programme, 3 years)
- Slovak Language and Literature (teacher preparation programme, 3 years)
- Slovak Language and Literature (single degree study, 2 years)
- Slovak Language and Culture (combined with other languages, translation programme, 2 years)
- Slovak Language and Literature (teacher preparation programme, 2 years)
As far as teaching is concerned, the department’s faculty teach courses within single major and double major programmes at undergraduate and graduate levels, lead basic courses in individual disciplines of Slovak linguistics for students of translation and interpreting programmes, participate in the training of doctoral students and provide basic courses in the Slovak language and specialized courses for foreign students and interns.
Students of Slovak studies are trained for occupations which require professional Slovak language skills and knowledge of the Slovak historical and current cultural context. Within the courses in linguistics, students learn about the structure, dynamism, external and internal histories of the Slovak language, regularities in contemporary Slovak, the manner and conditions of its functioning and its relations to other Slavic and non-Slavic languages. They learn to apply knowledge from systemic linguistic, sociolinguistic and pragmalinguistic research into the Slovak language.